The Department of Emergency Medicine (Alberta Health Services – Calgary Zone) is now accepting applications for SHC Emergency Department Site Chief Assistant.
The Calgary Department of Emergency Medicine encompasses two emergency medicine residency programs and four hospital sites seeing over 295,000 patients per year. In addition to a full spectrum of high acuity clinical medicine, trauma and cardiac care, we have active programs in human patient simulation and EM ultrasound, and Calgary is the home of STARS (Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society), one of North America’s longest operating rotary wing aero medical systems. The Calgary Department of Emergency Medicine has a growing academic program with research and teaching opportunities.
In a competent and professional manner, the Contractor will:
1. Have a high visibility and availability on the site and be a strong advocate for the members of the Department at that site.
2. Encourage clinical and professional development of site members; promote excellence in patient care delivery; ensure adequate site specific orientation for new emergency MD staff.
3. Coordinate clinical care for the Emergency Department at their designated acute care site; report directly to the Site Chief on all operational matters.
4. Participate in the strategic and operational planning of emergency care in the Calgary Zone; attends all monthly zone department meetings relating to clinical operations.
5. Be an active member of the department’s Manpower Committee and provide input on physician performance including but not limited to clinical competence and professionalism. The assistant site chief will aid in compiling feedback in relation to new physician hires during their locum and probationary periods and when available, will be a participant in the interviewing process of potential physician hires.
6. Coordinate and oversee the reviews/complaints of all patient, physician, consultant, and resident training at your designated site as it pertains to emergency care, in a prompt manner and in accordance with the zone medical bylaws; communicates and collaborates with the Site Chief on all escalating reviews or when deemed necessary
7. Collaborate and participate in emergency medicine Safety & Quality Improvement monthly meetings and activities
8. As an Assistant Site Chief in Emergency Medicine, you will be responsible for the day-to-day administrative duties in the Emergency Department at the designated site by monitoring benchmarks and measurement mechanisms in accordance with the departmental quality assurance framework.
9. Attend and participate in site specific Emergency Medicine and other interdepartmental meetings relating to clinical operations i.e. site flow committees, site specific disaster committees; site QAC, site leadership.
10. In collaboration with the Site Chief, monitor patient volumes as they relate to wait times and physician manpower including but not limited to, the implementation of strategic physician shifting, shift additions and removals, and shift start times and durations.
11. In collaboration with the Zone Department of Emergency Medicine research section, support approved research activities of all disciplines within the designated Emergency Department
12. Represent Emergency Medicine in dealing with site specific management issues in a timely manner, assist in the Site Specific strategic planning and provide Site specific leadership on issues relevant to the Emergency Department as needed; attend at site leadership meetings when appropriate.
13. Participate in site specific Emergency Department and hospital redesign/rebuild planning meetings when appropriate; provide updates of departmental construction or rezoning to the physician executive and physician large group as necessary.
14. Facilitate open and effective communication between the site and the Zone Department of Emergency Medicine as well as with other disciplines and departments.
15. In collaboration with department leadership, develop, review, revise and implement AHS policies, procedures and guidelines relating to patient care in a timely fashion.
16. Provide input for an Annual Report or any other material relevant to the site as requested by the Site Chief, Deputy Department Head and/or Department Head; attend and deliver site report at annual Emergency Department Retreat.
17. Advise the Site Chief on matters relating to bed utilization and resources required to carry out the patient care responsibilities.