The Department of Surgery is looking for a surgeon who has significant leadership experience and has a respected profile in the physician community to serve as the Deputy Department Head: Clinical Programs and Operations, Surgical Quality and Innovation. They require effective communication skills and a track record of engaging their team members. They will assist the Zone Clinical Department Head of Surgery in carrying out their duties. They will also help to oversee specific programs in the department in the areas of quality, performance, and innovation. Please see full list of deliverables below for an overview of this position.
SCOPE OF POSITION / DELIVERABLES
• To assist the Zone Clinical Department Head of Surgery in carrying out their duties.
• To act as the designate for the Zone Clinical Department Head of Surgery in their absence.
• To provide recommendations to the Zone Clinical Department Head of Surgery regarding delegated departmental issues and decisions.
• To attend committees assigned by the Zone Clinical Department Head of Surgery and to act as their delegate, if necessary, on these committees.
• To assist in building and maintaining strategic links between the Department of Surgery and Alberta Health Services.
• To support the Department of Surgery Facility Site Chiefs and Section Chiefs to address issues that fall within the remit of this position.
• To contribute to strategic planning and workforce planning for the Department of Surgery.
• To support and contribute to strategic events including departmental retreats, awards ceremonies, section or program reviews, and educational events.
• To assist in the management of disruptive surgeon conduct including the review of complaints and the education of surgeons.
• To lead, in conjunction with the Zone Clinical Department Head and other deputies in the department, ad hoc or unforeseen situations that affect members of the department e.g., pandemics, code orange events, etc.
Clinical Programs and Operations
This deputy will support various clinical programs in the Department of Surgery and Surgical Services, Calgary Zone, AHS, which include, but are not limited to:
• The Calgary Zone (CZ) Evidence Decision Support Program (EDSP) and the Provincial Advisory Committee on Surgical Innovation (PACOSI) which evaluates new surgical equipment and new surgical programs.
• The Acute Care Coverage Programs which include the Clinical Surgical Assistant Program, Family Physician Acute Care Coverage Program, the Resident Extender in Surgery Program, the physician assistants, and nurse practitioners in the Department of Surgery.
• The CLEAR score (Citizenship, Leadership, Education, Administration and Research) Program.
• Future clinical initiatives related to Operational Best Practice and optimizing resource utilization.
• Future development and monitoring of clinical performance indicators and metrics; they will develop an understanding of Tableau, or equivalent, software for this purpose.
Surgical Quality and Innovation
This deputy will support the various initiatives in the Department of Surgery related to maintaining and improving the quality of surgical care for our patients. The deliverables include, but are not limited to:
• Working with the Patient Concerns Coordinator to identify and organize opportunities for educational activities that will promote the development of patient concern prevention skills for members.
• Attending the Surgical Services Quality Assurance Committee and working with the Department of Surgery Quality and Safety Physician Lead to implement safety initiatives across the Calgary zone, AHS.
• Attending the Calgary Zone Surgical Quality Council and working with the Department of Surgery Physician Lead for Quality Assurance and Improvement (Office of Surgical Quality Lead) to implement initiatives to improve surgical quality across the Calgary zone, AHS.
• Working with community partners to promote, and support, the development of innovative processes in the care of the surgical patient.
This leadership position is supported by a 0.5 administrative assistant in the Department of Surgery
This leader will work closely with the other deputies in the department and the department manager, and will report to the Department Head of Surgery.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information for Medical Staff
Alberta Health Services has approved a mandatory Immunization of Workers for COVID-19 vaccine policy, effective immediately. In accordance with the Policy, all contractors and AHS employees, including medical and midwifery staff are required to be fully immunized against COVID-19 prior to their first day of practice.