Deputy Head positions have been created to support the Department of Pediatrics to meet the objectives of excellence in all spheres of activity – clinical service, teaching, research and administration. The Deputy Head, Education position is a 0.20 FTE medical leadership position that reports to the Academic and Zone Clinical Department Head and will liaise with Educational Leadership at the Cumming School of Medicine (CSM). The successful applicant will join the Department Leadership team composed of the Department Head, Deputy Heads of Clinical & Strategic Affairs, Research, and Professional Affairs and the Department Manager.
Eligible applicants include
physician members of the Department of Pediatrics who also hold a clinical or academic appointment in the Cumming School of Medicine. At this point in time, it is necessary for the successful candidate to be a member of the Pediatric AMHSP. The term of appointment will be flexible, as agreed to by both the Department Head and Deputy Head, with the initial appointment being for a minimum term of two years.
The Deputy Head, Education will support and coordinate current and new education activities, to help ensure the maximum success of our educational programs.
The main roles and responsibilities for the Deputy Head, Education are the following:
1. Internal/External Reviews:
• The Deputy Head will facilitate and support preparation for accreditation visits as well as internal and external reviews of educational programs in the Department
2. Post Graduate Medical Education:
• The Deputy Head will represent the Department on the General Pediatrics RTC
• The Deputy Head will use leadership skills to facilitate interactions between the Program Directors, Resident Leaders and Medical Staff in terms of medical service and education objectives
• The Deputy Head will support the programs undergoing transition to competency by design
3. Undergraduate Medical Education, the Deputy Head, Education will:
• Represent the Department on the UME/Clerkship Committee
4. General Deliverables. The Deputy Head, Education will:
• Design and lead periodic educational planning sessions and retreats for the Department
• Align the educational processes and objectives with AHS and CSM standards
• Advocate for initiatives in educational research
• Be a participating member of the Departmental Executive
• Attend Departmental Meetings appropriate to the Deputy Head’s role and responsibility
• Act as a delegate for the Department Head or other Deputy Heads as required