Alberta Health Services, Department of Medicine invites applications for a Respirologist or intensivist with expertise in chronic ventilation.
This is a 20% medical administrative position that will lead the medical direction and the day to day management of the chronic ventilation program in the Calgary Zone.
In addition to working closely with AHS administrative leaders with responsibility for this program across acute care, continuing care and outpatient sites. The Medical Director will ensure the quality of ventilator care that is being provided to the patients / clients served by the program. The Medical Director will also be responsible for medical coverage for the program so that patients have access to a physician with expertise in chronic ventilation.
Part of the time will be spent meeting with provincial colleagues and administrators from other Zones to address provincial needs and to make sure that there is medical input to the provincial equipment program.
The Chronic Ventilation Program is based out of the Peter Lougheed Centre (PLC). It would be an advantage for the Medical Director to be based at the PLC.
The Section of Respiratory Medicine at Alberta Health Services - Calgary Zone offers extraordinary expertise and experience. Core strengths and activities include:
- A section comprised of 40 members, both clinical and full-time academic respirologists
- Several complimentary subspecialty care programs (e.g lung transplantation, pulmonary hypertension, TB, interstitial lung disease) and a close working relationship with six thoracic surgeons, chest radiologists and lung pathologists.
- A strong commitment to provide a high level of clinical services for a population of 1.2 million people in Calgary and 1.8 million people in southern Alberta, southwest Saskatchewan and southeast British Columbia for some areas of subspecialty care including TB.
- The section of Respiratory Medicine also provides comprehensive clinical consultative and inpatient services at Calgary’s four adult hospitals.
- An excellent well established Respiratory Medicine residency training program
- World class programs of clinical, population, translational and basic science research
- World class undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate education/training programs
- Opportunities exist for professional development in clinical, education or research domains
- Opportunity to join and work within the University of Calgary Medical group
- It is expected that the successful applicant will be appointed to a full-time Clinical Faculty position in the Section of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Medicine at the University of Calgary.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) Calgary Zone operates five teaching hospitals in the city of Calgary. AHS serves 1.8 million residents of Southern Alberta, Southeastern British Columbia and Southwestern Saskatchewan. The Section of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Medicine provides academic and clinical services in an integrated manner across all of the hospital sites and in several ambulatory care settings. Calgary is a vibrant city (population 1,200,000) situated near the Rocky Mountains, Banff National Park and Lake Louise.
Increasing scholarly capacity is helping the University of Calgary meet its strategic goal to being one of Canada’s top five research universities, where innovative teaching and groundbreaking research go hand in hand, and where we fully engage the communities we both serve and lead. The strategy is called Eyes High, inspired by the university’s Gaelic motto, which translates as ‘I will lift up my eyes.’
For more information please visit the following websites: