As per Bylaw 2.5.2, a FMD shall assist the ZMD fulfilling his/her duties. Without limiting the authority of AHS relative to its administrative structures, the responsibilities of the FMD include, but are not limited to:
1. The FMD is the senior physician leader for his/her Regional Hospital and North Zone Area. He/she will perform all duties assigned to him/her by AHS’ Bylaws and the Rules.
2. Joint responsibility/accountability for overall Medical Affairs and Clinical Operations Area healthcare delivery with the FMD’s North Zone Clinical Operations Area Dyad partner.
a) FMDs are responsible for arranging another physician leader to cover his/her responsibilities and duties if the FMD is to be absent for a period of time. Acting FMD leadership coverage is subject to the approval of the ZMD, and requires a submission to the ZMD at least one week prior to the FMD’s absence. The FMD’s administrative assistant will send out notification of the FMD’s absence and of the Acting FMD.
3. Effective and Consistent Communication to support front line practitioner engagement.
a) Ensuring active two way communication of key information;
b) Attending in person monthly ZCDFC/FPMD meetings.
(i) These local ZCDFC/FPMD meetings require an agenda from the FMD and at least bulleted minutes (including a list of practitioners attending the meeting) to be taken by the FMD or his/her administrative assistant. The minutes should include the date of the meeting, a list of the practitioners attending the meeting, discussion items from the meeting in a bulleted format, and a list of action items.
c) Ensuring the FMD’s ZCDFCs/FPMDs meet monthly with their respective frontline physicians as a department/program.
(i) These department/program meetings require an agenda from the ZCDFC/FPMD and at least bulleted minutes (including a list of practitioners attending the meeting) to be taken by the ZCDFC/FPMD. The minutes should include the date of the meeting, discussion items from the meeting in a bulleted format, and a list of action items;
(ii) The minutes are to be emailed to the FMD’s administrative assistant within one week of the meeting;
(iii) The exact duration and location of the meeting is less important than regular and timely two-way communication.
d) Advancing the perspective, advice and resource requirements of the Medical Staff providing services in a Regional Hospital and surrounding Area.
4. Attending key ZMD meetings including:
a) Monthly ZMAC (and its subcommittees) by videoconference;
b) Monthly North Zone Senior Physician Leadership meetings by videoconference;
c) Quarterly North Zone Physician Leadership Forums in-person;
d) Other meetings as requested by ZMD.
5. Advocating for the provision of high quality and safe patient care in a Regional Hospital and surrounding Area including:
a) An encouragement of and commitment to best practice standards; including Appropriateness of Care initiatives, and SCN guidelines/policies;
b) A promotion of the most effective utilization of resources;
c) An assessment and preparation of a list of new equipment required at the time of budget preparation;
d) An assistance in working with the respective ZCDFCs/FPMDs and to recommend admissions and/or discharges in times of bed shortages, disaster, strike and other unforeseen circumstances;
e) A facilitation of patient concerns and critical incidents reviewed by the respective ZCDFCs/FPMDs;
f) A coordination of quality assurance, length of stay, hospital flow and system optimization initiatives;
g) A promotion and support of continuing education for medical staff; and
h) An assistance in the accreditation process;
i) Work internally within AHS’ leadership structure, and abiding by AHS/CPSA MSBs/MSRs/Codes/Policies, to fully and openly advocate for the advancement of patient care or patient safety issues. (AHS MSB Article 4.2.3)
6. North Zone Physician workforce planning and health service planning;
a) Encouraging the active participation of North Zone physicians in teaching and assessment activities, in an effort to support the next generation of North Zone physicians, as well as to help address ongoing North Zone physician recruitment and retention challenges by “growing our own”.
7. Ensuring compliance of front line practitioners with AHS MSBs/MSRs.
8. Liaising with Health Advisory Council (HAC) members, external stakeholders and community members with the FMD’s SOO/SOD dyad partner.
9. Regional Hospital and surrounding Area capital project planning and development needs.
10. Providing front line physician leaders with at least annual formal feedback, in writing and through a conversation, in order to support leadership development.
11. Ensuring the timely provision of feedback for frontline physicians in the FMD’s Area, and serving as an arbitrator for disputes involving the FMD’s frontline physicians.
12. Leading Triggered Initial Assessments/Reviews as requested by the ZMD in external Areas consistent with AHS’ MSBs.
13. Coordinating and supervising the patient concern and critical incident process within his/her Area.
14. Participating in NZ physician leadership development. At a minimum, FMD commits to attending two annual physician leadership development events (like PLI courses approved by NZMA and fully funded by AHS).
15. Quarterly submitting ongoing demonstrative/written evidence of work product consistent with the position’s full FTE calculated weekly for financial audit/general accounting purposes regarding an independent contractor. Work product includes:
b) Tele-conference, video-conference or in-person meeting minutes;
c) Bulleted notes from phone calls, meetings or “corridor conversations” including the date, time/duration of encounter, and physician(s) involved.
16. Ensuring that Locum Physician Evaluations are completed by the FMD’s appropriate
ZCDFC/FPMD/local physician as required.
17. Regularly and equitably participating in the North Zone Senior Physician Leader after-hours on-call call schedule.
18. In the event there are concerns received from clinicians, patients, legal representatives or family members about patient care, the Contractor will respond to the concerns in a timely fashion.
19. Performing all duties as may be designated or delegated by the ZMD or designate.