Facility Medical Director (FMD)
Reporting to the Zone Medical Director, the Facility Medical Director (FMD) at the Grande Prairie Regional Hospital is a key leadership position within the North Zone and Alberta Health Services. The FMD is accountable for all physician-related matters, as well as all operational and strategic issues and decisions requiring physician input or leadership that arise at the Grande Prairie Regional Hospital.
The FMD will promote an environment that fosters quality improvement and a safe culturally-diverse environment for staff, physicians and patients by continually improving health and safety performance through promotion of culture-supporting hazard assessments, risk management, incident identification, reporting and correction, and compliance with applicable regulations, policies and safe work practices. ?A commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression action is essential. ?The ideal candidate will have demonstrated abilities in communication, collaboration, conflict resolution, change management, quality and patient safety.
The FMD is the senior physician leader for their Regional Hospital and North Zone Area 9. They will perform all duties assigned to them under the AHS’ Bylaws and the Rules with joint responsibility/accountability for overall Medical Affairs and Clinical Operations Area healthcare delivery with the FMD’s North Zone Clinical Operations Area Dyad partner.
Key Responsibilities are:
- Meet with your operational DYAD partners and Department Heads regularly
- Responsible for budget targets and overall alignment to the zone operational plan
- Leadership development of medical leaders
- Attend Zone Medical Advisory Committee (ZMAC) and North Zone Senior Leadership meetings
- Periodic reviews for Department Heads (every 3 years, or annual for staff > 65 years old) at request of Zone Medical Director
- Participate in Zone and Provincial work as designated by the Zone Medical Director
- Identify need for and manage recruitment together with Medical Affairs
- Workforce service planning
- Support Department Heads to manage local issues related to physicians, including concerns and complaints
- Identify organizational risks (patient safety, political, media) and escalate to medical and operational leadership
· Represent the facility positively to external stakeholders
A full job description can be available upon request.