Corrections Health Services, Alberta Health Services is currently seeking a part time General Practitioner for the Medicine Hat Remand Centre. The duties of the physician at the Medicine Hat Remand Centre are to be carried out in accordance with, the AHS Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules. Please note that as this is an AHS contracted position, it will be filled in accordance also with the AHS Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules through a selection process that will include departmental participation.
The scope of practice would include:
- One 2 hour clinic per week scheduled at a mutually agreeable time with the Centre. Currently, the clinic is Tuesday mornings from 0900 to 1100. This is flexible. The clinic consists of providing general medical care to inmates housed at the Medicine Hat Remand Centre. The family physician does not provide psychiatric services.
- It is estimated that actual clinic time is about 60 – 90 minutes clinic per week, and the nurses would need time available to call for orders, routine and urgent M-F during regular work hours. Calls are minimal. Availability for call is between 8 am and 4 pm, Monday to Friday.
- No on-call after hour or on weekends.
- Must be willing to prescribe Suboxone, Methadone and Sublocade.
- Liaison with the Director of AHS Corrections Health South, and the Medicine Hat Remand Centre regarding planning for absences.
- Remain fully informed on developments concerning the medical condition of acutely ill inmates in cooperation with all other health care providers in the Centre.
- Authorize medications prescribed to inmates in the Centre.
- Identify opportunities for policy and practice improvements.
- Provide guidance and direction regarding health care matters to the Centre’s Health Care Managers.
- Promote good health practices for inmates.
- Provide information to facility inquiries as required.
The general practitioner shall be directly accountable to the Facilities Medical Director, Corrections Health Services, AHS.
The position of General Practitioner for the Medicine Hat Remand Centre is intended to assist in achieving the vision and mission of Alberta Health Services. As such, there must be a commitment to excellence in providing an integrated, accessible, and accountable health care system. AHS is also committed to providing services based on population needs and promoting a shared responsibility for improved health.